Disclaimer

If I know you, and you're reading this blog, you have two choices:

1) Feel free to pretend you haven't, should the contents be offensive, sensitive in nature, or just TMI (Too Much Information).
OR
2) Comment freely or talk to me face to face, and be prepared for further honesty and opinions.

Okay? Okay.

Mar 10, 2008

Three Answers

1. So many people claim they just "don't have the time" for various
things in their life. With eight kids, I'm sure you're not sitting
around with oodles of spare time on your hands, yet you find time to
blog and read other blogs. Why do you choose to make time for this
particular hobby, and how do you do it?

A friend told me about the website Largerfamilies.com, since, you know, we have a large family. She thought it might be a good place to visit to get recipe and organization ideas. I read through some of the entries and then started looking at the profiles of the contributers. The stories of the contributers captured my attention and I began to follow the links to their own personal blogs- I was hooked.

I don't subscribe to a newspaper or watch t.v. during the day. I love to read books, but have found that keeping up with blogs takes over a lot of my reading time. However, I hate to be interrupted when I'm reading a book so reading blogs fills the reading need, blogs are like reading really short stories, and it doesn't bother me as much to be interrupted. It's easy for me to pick up and put down the laptop mid-sentence, so I can read off and on. I don't read every blog every day.

I write when the mood strikes me. Mostly it's formulated in my head and out it comes, sometimes it just comes no planning. The story of how Käri and I evolved as a couple and a family takes more planning and is much more difficult for me to get out.

It is a weird hobby. I have always loved to write- though I am not saying I am good at it (way too many commas, grammatical errors...and ellipses). It's journaling, it's connecting, it's an outlet.

2. A related question perhaps: What do you get from blogging that you
can't/don't get from other aspects of your life?

Reading and writing challenges me to think about more that the dirty floors, toilets and kitchen; more than diapers, runny noses, and what to have for dinner. It's cheaper than therapy and a fine way to escape. I have made some internet connections with other bloggers and I do learn from what I read.



3. Can you describe a time when you felt particularly included or
welcome in the blogosphere?

Hmmm...the internet is open to everyone. I guess there have been occasions when another blogger has attempted to go beyond the boundaries of the written word and make a personal connection with me. That feels inclusive.


3a. Can you describe a time when you felt excluded or unwelcome in the
blogosphere?

Nope. Can't say that I have. I made a comment once that was met with a bit of aversion and defensiveness. I meant it in a friendly way, but a lot is lost in the written word, and it wasn't taken as such. There was some fuss and surprise on my part, but it never felt unwelcome.

No comments: