If I know you, and you're reading this blog, you have two choices:

1) Feel free to pretend you haven't, should the contents be offensive, sensitive in nature, or just TMI (Too Much Information).
2) Comment freely or talk to me face to face, and be prepared for further honesty and opinions.

Okay? Okay.

May 14, 2008

Christmas in May?

Damn, it's been like Christmas around here, I swear. It seems like we've been extremely busy for weeks.

One.thing.after.the.other. In between bouts of sickness, of course. Please, please, please let's be done with all that.

I don't remember the end of the school year being so hectic before. Yeah, but I don't remember much...It's all a blur. Perhaps the gin and limeade adds to that, hmmmm...

Relay. It was so long ago now. I can't seem to get it out of my head. A good event for a good cause. I had a difficult time sitting still. In between rounds of walking, we'd hang out and gab about whatever. Nice, relaxing, much laughing and chatter. Good.

There was so much energy there. It felt like a constant low rush of incoming traffic energy. I liken it to a concert, but without the excitement, rush, factor. I had a hard time shutting it off and letting go. During the day I was bit edgy, trying to figure out what to do with myself, when I wasn't walking. Amazingly I wasn't that hungry, so couldn't even occupy myself with eating. At night, the track lights were on full blast, after the luminary ceremony was over. Odd, that.

I was allotted the 3-4 am slot with some fellow team members and knew I should try to get some sleep, and around ten, felt that pull. I just couldn't seem to make my way until 12:30 when I forced myself. I tossed and turned for a while, and eventually fell asleep for a bit, waking for good at 2:15. I finally got up around 2:30 and joined a teammate who had been walking since midnight. (she had signed up for the 12-2 shift and ended up walking until 6!- she just couldn't stop.) I walked until 5'ish and then hit the lawn chair, covered myself with my sleeping bag and caught some sleep until 6.

From 3-5 (a.m., mind you) I ran into a few people I haven't seen in a long time. We each barfed out the happenings of the last few years- one swore me to secrecy- and walked, and walked., and walked.

I returned home, tired, the next morning around 11, where life resumed, normal. Cancer free.

I had a dream last night that a mom I know had been diagnosed with cancer, but wasn't telling anybody. (I asked this morning- she's fine.) I had a similar dream a few years back. So vivid. An old friend showing me her scars from her mastectomy... She's fine too.

But my parents neighbors? Youngish couple, two kids. Elementary school students... kindergarten and second grade, maybe. She had a lump removed and some chemo was started and then they found cancer in her lymph nodes... Not sure what the prognosis is today.

Not so lucky though.

edited: Before I could hit publish- Abe was throwing up... and he already had it a week ago!!!

1 comment:

gretel said...

Ack! Nothing is more unfair for both kiddos and caregivers than the REPEAT illnesses - grrr! I got to parent with laryngitis this week...hah! Pretty much pointless!