Disclaimer

If I know you, and you're reading this blog, you have two choices:

1) Feel free to pretend you haven't, should the contents be offensive, sensitive in nature, or just TMI (Too Much Information).
OR
2) Comment freely or talk to me face to face, and be prepared for further honesty and opinions.

Okay? Okay.

Mar 6, 2007

Mother of the Month 2x

I have been winning the mother of the month award so often it is starting to get embarrassing. I'm sure the committee could find another candidate. I'll have to chat with the nominating folks.

In February, I won for leaving my six year old , Gus, at home. Oh yeah. It was the usual school morning routine at our house. Everybody dressed, beds made, teeth brushed, breakfast eaten?? Hurry up, lets go, lets go, lets go!! We start loading up the van at 7:30- it takes a bit to get all eight buckled in car seats and ready to roll. Especially, if invariably, one or more forgets their coat or backpack. The goal is to be leaving our driveway by 7:45. As I was getting the last baby in the car, my cell started ringing. Unusual for that time in the morning, but I answered. It was a friend and we chatted all the way into school- a good ten minutes or so. I hung up as we pulled into the preschool drop off spot. Out popped Jack and I walked him in said my goodbyes and sauntered back out to the car where I was greeted with- 'Gus isn't here' I prepared my self to be angry as the kids have been instructed not to unbuckle when they are waiting for me to return, but at the same time get that little funny feeling in the pit of my stomach. 'What do you mean he isn't here, did he unbuckle, is he hiding in the van, he didn't get out, did he?' All queries were met with a shake of the head and then finally a 'No, he was never here'. 'Your kidding, right?' Nope.
They weren't kidding.

A quick phone call to the same friend I had been talking to all the way into school- she had been dropping her toddler off at a preschool near my house. She would head right over. I only know the phone number of one neighbor, who I knew was probably not home... and then immediately called home. The machine picked up as I am racing back to the house, and I start talking to Gus... 'Gus are you there?..., honey it's mama..., pick up the phone babe... Gus? ... Gussie...

He did pick up, and we talked all the way home, a minute or so before I got there, so did my friend. Gus greeted me at the door with the phone in one hand and his comic in the other. It seems that he decided to get said comic to read in the car, forgot we were leaving, and laid on his bed and read his comic book. At some point, he remembered and went out to the driveway- the empty driveway. He found his way back into the house, cuddled up on the couch and read his comic until I called. All in all, not terribly traumatic or scarring, I hope.

Did I mention this was the same child who I had cursed at just days before for following me into the bathroom to watch his older brother puke, so closely, that I tripped over him in my haste to grab a towel from the hall closet, while he was supposed to be making his bed, of course.

Lovely, Eh?

In March, you ask? While it is still early in the month, I received the coveted 'Using Antiquated Methods of Child Rearing Award' for forcing Mia to finish her nasty, soggy, mushy, hour old cereal, before she ate anything else. I did forget to include the speech about starving children in Ethiopia, and for that I almost lost out.

Apparently, it was a close race between myself and Chris .

6 comments:

Sandy. said...

Hate to say it, but I think you might have some competition . . . me. :)

Sandy.

Sheesha said...

OMGosh! It's funny now right?...I almost lost it on the third paragraph! Leaving the house is so challenging - sometimes I want to say, okay fine I'll be right back - if we get all the way home and I remember that I was suppose to stop somewhere on the way home they have a fit about getting back into the car....

Anonymous said...

Love it, Love it, Love it...It still makes me laugh so hard I could cry...When Zane was young and we were forcing the whole "eat your veggies thinkg", I would save his broccoli from dinner and force him to finish it before he could have snack, but cold, gooey, sticky, lumpy, thick, oatmeal..anyone got a number for CPS?? Only kidding...

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Ok. You win! That's classic.

Kim said...

Just found your blog through lesbianfamily.org, read this post and started cracking up! So funny! Can't wait to read more later when the kids go to bed!

TruLove said...

Apparently, anonymous has never had a bad day or ever made one of those "I sounded just like my mother!" comments. You are an awesome mom and like you told me, they HAVE to have something to talk about in therapy!